Barbara is currently the Head Women’s Swim Coach at Kean University in New Jersey. She was formerly an Assistant Swim Coach at Montclair State University and an Assistant Coach at Indiana University. She has been involved in Triathlon since 2009 and has developed an excellent reputation in swim development. She is a USAT Level 1, USA Swimming, ASCA, CSCAA, and NCAA Division 1 & 3 certified coach.
Barbara has had much success in her racing career. During her 2017 season, she completed her first Ironman World Championship and finished 21st in her age group. In 2017, she had her best overall amateur finish at Steelhead 70.3 with 4th overall amateur and 2nd Age group. At Ironman Louisville 2016, she won her age group and secured her first Kona Qualification. Barbara has qualified for the 70.3 World Championships for 4 consecutive years in a row. She has represented the USA at ITU Olympic Distance World Championships in 2015. Barbara registered an age group win at IM New Orleans 70.3 in 2015. She finished 4th at her first Ironman in Lake Tahoe, 9th at Ironman New Zealand and 8th at Ironman Texas. She has also been a USAT All-American and a Gold Ironman All-World Gold athlete multiple times. Barbara ended 2017 ranked 9th in the world and 5th in the nation for the Half Ironman distance
Prior to being a swim coach, Perkins graduated from Saint Mary’s College of California. At Saint Mary’s, she was on the water polo team, where she was a team captain her junior and senior seasons. She switched to triathlon after her collegiate career.
For more information on coaching, please visit: http://www.tippingpointtriathlon.com/
- Birthday: October 16, 1988
- Current City: Harrison, NJ
- First Triathlon: Pyramid Lake Sprint Triathlon 2009
- Previous sports: Swimming, Running Cross Country, and Water Polo
- Hobbies: Cooking, reading, traveling, taking pictures of my cats and spending time with friends
- Hometown: Carson City, NV
- Favorite Foods: I could eat sushi for every meal for the rest of my life and be completely happy. Chocolate milk is also up there.
- Favorite workout: Brick work outs
- Favorite cities: Galway, Ireland and San Francisco, CA
- Favorite travel destinations: Anywhere in Ireland; the Highlands, Scotland; Prague, Czech Republic
- Loves: Discovering new restaurants, new tri kits, the smell of fall, chai tea, pink running shoes, my family, my cats and my husband, Matt.